- One entry per category per artist. All entries must be finished, including bases and within size restrictions.
- You cannot enter winning models from other contests, conventions, or online competitions. Models published prior to Attack-X 2019 and this competition in any professional print media (magazines, box art, etc.) cannot be entered. Online publication of your painted entry prior to Attack-X 2019 is acceptable only if done so to receiving feedback on your work from the hobby community.
- Entries must be made in-person by the artist. Entries must be the work of the artist. Any entry painted by anyone other than the entrant will be disqualified. Disqualified entries are not eligible for any prizes or awards and the artist will be barred from entry in all future Attack-X painting competitions. Information dealing with an entry in this competition that may result in disqualification should be brought to the attention of the Competition Administration at the Miniature Events Reporting Centre. Management reserves the right to withdraw or disqualify any entries deemed rude, offensive, or in bad taste.
- Each category must have at least four entries or it will be combined it with another category. Management determines final category placement of all entries. Category placement can be changed at any time before or during judging.
- Entries will be photographed and entry registration indicates permission for Attack-X to show them in all public media, including online and print media.
- Attack-X staff, volunteers, and Competition Management cannot be held responsible for damaged or lost entries. We treat all entries with respect and will do our best to keep them safe.
- Attack-X Competition Judges are not eligible to enter the Sage Brush 2019.
- All decisions of the judges and management are final.
- Entries must be received by 4pm on Saturday, September 14th, 2019.
- Entries and prizes must be picked up by 2 pm Sunday, September 15th, 2019. Entries not picked up can be mailed at the entrant’s expense for shipping and handling. If that can’t be arranged, entries will be forfeited to organizer.
- Entries will be displayed at and remain in the Miniature Painting Competition display cases from the time the entry is registered to the time the entry is picked up and as such will be unavailable for use in games, tournaments, and other displays during that time. Entries may be picked up early, but will not be eligible for judging.
- Please note that measurements include any and all bases, movement trays, or display stands. These measurements are used to determine display shelf placements and will be strictly enforced.
The Sage Brush is an open format competition. Awards will be issued to entries based on their individual merit. Judges may issue a gold, silver or bronze award to any entry. There is no maximum or minimum amount of awards that will be given to any category. A ‘Best in Category’ award will be given to the best piece in each category and a ‘Best in Show’ award given to the best piece that win ‘Best in Category’. Awards will be presented at 9am on Sunday, September 15.
28mm – 40mm scale figure or mounted figure that falls within the size restriction. This includes base and mount. Judges will rule on any bits, such as a pole or arm, extending beyond the size restriction, at time of entry. Size restriction: 1.9” wide x 1.9” deep x 2.5” tall* *Measured to the height of the figure’s head, excluding extended banners/weapons.
Single figures that are larger than the Single Figure restrictions. Large monsters, larger scale figures, vehicles, busts or other single miniatures that do not fall into the Single Figure category. Size restriction: 10” wide x 10” deep x 10” tall
Two or more models belonging to the same group, unit or faction. Together, all models must fit within the size restriction. Models may be displayed on a unified base or separately. Size restriction: 10” wide x 10” deep x 10” tall
One or more models with a scenic background and/or display.
Size restriction: 12” wide x 12” deep x 12” tall
All entries will be evaluated on two criteria, technique and artistry, which will determine if they qualify for an award category and which level of award they qualify for.
Technique covers the skills used to build, paint, base and complete the entry.
Bronze: Free of major technical faults such a multiple mold lines, visible primer or bare model, unfilled or sloppily filled gaps. Model is painted in a consistent manner.
Silver: Free of major technical faults mentioned above. Model demonstrates a clear and well executed style of painting. Gold: Free any technical faults. Model demonstrates extremely well executed painting techniques.
Artistry covers the creative choices, such as palette choice, basing choice and atmosphere.
Bronze: Model is painted in a cohesive colour palette and is fully based. All elements of the model have been painted.
Silver: Model is painted in a style and colour palette that complement the figure. Entry has a clear focal point. Total presentation of the model is cohesive.
Gold: Model is painted in a style and colour palette that complement the figure. Entry is extremely well composed. Total presentation of the model is compelling.
If you have any questions about which category your entry would fall under, or anything else related to the Sage Brush you can reach out to us on our Facebook page!